For those who enjoy a generous splash of bitters, the Skeleton Key cocktail is the key to your heart.
The original cocktail was created by Travis Fourmont, head bartender at Michael Symon’s Roast in Detroit, and modified to reduce the amount of bitters. The original calls for 8 dashes – so if you’re a fan, don’t be shy about adding some more.
“I served it for a couple of days before I came up with the name. The rusty color of the drink made me think of the skeleton keys that opened the old locks in my grandparents house.”
Table of Contents
Skeleton Key Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Tom Collins glass
- 1 1/2 ounces Bourbon
- 1 ounce Elderflower Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed
- 5 ounces Ginger Beer The strong kind with bits of ginger
- 5 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Fill a Tom Collins glass with ice.
- Pour in the bourbon, elderflower, and lemon juice in that order.
- Top with the ginger beer.
- Add bitters on top.
- Use your straw to gently stir, leaving the ingredients not fully mixed. Serve.
Pin This Recipe!