The Midnight Manhattan cocktail takes the OG and brings an essence of cherry and astringency to those seeking a more complex and layered whiskey-forward variation. Travis Fourmont, famed bartender from the Roast restaurant in Detroit, created this for Woodford Reserve and subsequently won the 2013 Master of the Manhattan.
I tried a variation of this cocktail with Rye instead of bourbon, which I also really enjoyed and felt was a fair substitute if you are into the spiciness of a rye.
Table of Contents
Midnight Manhattan Cocktail
- 2 oz Woodford Reserve Makers 46 alternative
- ½ oz Italian Amaro
- ¼ oz Bitter Orange Liqueur Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao or Cointreau
- ¼ oz Heering Cherry Liqueur Maraschino liqueur alternative
- 4 dashes Orange Bitters
- 1 Orange peel For garnish
- 1 Cherry Luxardo or aged cherry for garnish
- Combine bourbon, amaro, and liqueurs into a mixing glass with ice and stir.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Flambe orange peel and skewer with cherry.
From recipes using locally sourced ingredients and terroir-centric cooking, craft cocktails, to the latest in tech and home DIY projects, Michael yearns to share his learned and found knowledge of the world.