Do you have a big essay assignment due soon and don’t know where to start? You’re not alone. Many students find essay writing to be a daunting task. In order to make the process a little bit easier, we’ve put together a list of the seven most common mistakes that students make in essay writing. Avoid these mistakes and you’ll be on your way to writing an excellent essay!
The Seven Most Common Mistakes in Essay Writing
Before we begin our top 7, you can also contact a “write paper for you” service if you do not want to write your essay yourself. This is the easiest choice.
A top seven list of the most common mistakes in essay writing may just be the perfect way to avoid any academic pitfalls! So here they are.
1) Not reading the essay prompt carefully – make sure you know what you’re being asked to do, and that you have all the necessary information;
2) Not following instructions – whether it’s length requirements or even formatting guidelines, make sure that everything is done exactly as specified;
3) Over-reliance on spellcheck – computers can only do so much for us;
4) Plagiarism – not having your own opinions, research or words will cause major problems for you. That’s because essays are meant to test your ability to think critically and write persuasively;
5) Neglecting basic grammar and punctuation rules. This includes things like proper usage of commas and semi-colons;
6) Lack of sufficient evidence to back up claims being made. Not having sufficient proof to back up your arguments will make it difficult for the reader to take you seriously;
7) Not proofreading properly. And there you have it – with this list in mind students should now feel much better equipped for their next essay assignment.
Calming down the anxiety
As a student, writing an essay can be quite intimidating in the beginning. After all, you are expected to produce academic-level work while being under time pressure. But don’t worry – if you start with developing an argument and providing compelling evidence to support it, then the rest of the task becomes much easier. The key is to plan ahead, set yourself reasonable deadlines, break down complicated tasks into small actions that won’t overwhelm you, and take regular breaks to maintain focus. And of course, you could also reach out to college-paper.org if you need some help. In other words, by treating essay-writing like any other project (e.g., organizing a birthday party for your friend), you can approach it in a way that removes some of the anxiety associated with the task.
How to Avoid Making These Mistakes
- Make sure to answer the prompt. It may seem like an obvious first step but it’s one that is commonly overlooked. This means avoid deviating from the main ideas off the prompt and going off on tangents.
- Resist the urge to resort to clichés in your writing. This will guarantee that your essay stands out from others rather than having repetitive content used multiple times by many different writers.
- Don’t forget about structure; organization is key for a successful essay! Set aside time for outlining parts of your paper instead of diving straight into writing—it will help ensure that you don’t miss any important points throughout your paper.
- Watch out for overly complicated wording; simple sentences are just as effective as complex ones when expressed well enough for readers to understand easily.
- Cite any sources you quote or refer to in the text properly during your research process—otherwise it can be considered plagiarism!
- Proofread and edit! Mistakes such as spelling errors or grammatical mistakes are bound to occur, so take some time to look them over before submitting any final drafts of your essay.
- Review all relevant points or arguments you made while writing and try not to introduce new information at the very end of your conclusion–your professor won’t be impressed with unexpected ideas added at the end if they didn’t appear earlier in written discourse! Taking care with these seven points ensures a quality final product. Good luck!
Tips for Writing an Excellent Essay
If you want to write an outstanding essay, the single biggest tip is to start early. Create a timeline and plan out how much time you will need for properly researching, organizing your thoughts, and getting your paper drafted, edited, and ready for submission.
Additionally, make sure that you are following proper writing guidelines for each step. Read through the prompt and any other given materials several times to make sure you understand all of the requirements for the essay. Include strong evidence or examples to support any claims you make in the essay.
Cite any outside sources that were consulted when gathering information or constructing arguments. Finally, don’t forget to proofread carefully – even great ideas can be marred by careless mistakes!
Writing an excellent essay is a time- and energy-intensive process, but your hard work will be rewarded in the end. Following these simple tips will help you avoid common mistakes that can mar an otherwise solid piece of writing. Good luck!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Whether she is researching the latest trends in home decor, life-changing destination getaways, or the best way to maintain your finances, Dewey takes pride in leaving no stone unturned. She is passionate about distilling and delivering high-quality information that you can use to upgrade your life.