The Red Riding Hood Cocktail combines herbaceous root beer liqueur with acidic lemon juice and sweet red current preserve to create a truly unique Halloween cocktail.
Before I made it for myself, I was very intrigued by this recipe. I love those craft root beer sodas, and thought the sweet and acidic flavors would result in an interestingly unique balance. The first sip was unexpected, yet I could pick out some familiar flavors. Although I felt unsure about the cocktail at first, I felt a strange craving to drink more shortly thereafter. By the end of my first glass, I found myself craving the herbal root flavors.
The name Red Riding Hood comes from the television series Once Upon A Time, a story filled with fairy tales and mystery. The inspiration serves the cocktail well.
The vastly unique flavor profile grows on you quickly. Leaning toward the sweeter side, the Red Riding Hood cocktail is best sipped after dinner or with a sinful dessert. I will certainly be making this cocktail again.
Specific ingredients used:
- DeKuyper Root Beer Schnapps
- Meyer lemon juice
- Homemade simple syrup
- Wild Berry Fruit Preserve
Table of Contents
Red Riding Hood Cocktail
- Cocktail Shaker
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Root Beer Liqueur The herbal Root
- 2 oz Lemon Juice Freshly squeezed
- 1 1 /2 oz Simple Syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp Red Currant Preserve Alternative is Mixed berry with red/black current or blueberries
- Cubed ice
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Combine all ingredients into shaker and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- Strain over fresh ice into a rocks glass.
Pin This Recipe!
From traveling to Italy to learn about balsamic vinegar from the source to homesteading in his own backyard, Michael is ever ready to take on new challenges and think about the world from different perspectives.