With all of the coffee maker options that exist out there, finding the perfect affordable coffee maker for you can be quite a daunting task. Finding one that is reasonably priced only adds another layer of difficulty on top of that.
Because each coffee maker comes with a variety of specialized functions, it’s important to consider what functionalities are the most important to you. Do you absolutely need to wake up to a hot pot of coffee that has been pre-programmed the night before? Is adjustable brew strength important to you or is quick brewing functionality at the top of your list? Do you need a full pot of coffee in the morning and then just a single cup later?
Each of the coffee makers listed below have specific benefits and drawbacks. I’ve given you my top pick of maker, but each comes with it’s own great functions. I’ve laid out the “good” and the “not-so-good” to help you decide which coffee maker best fits your specific needs.
Whichever you choose, however, you can be certain that you’ll get a great pot of home-brewed coffee without breaking the bank.
Table of Contents
- State-of-the-art technology to ensure hotter coffee without sacrificing flavor or quality
- Brew strength control allows you to select regular or bold coffee flavor
- A 60-second reset function that recalls the previous setting of the interrupted brewing process
- Programmable up to 24 hours in advance
- Adjustable brew strength
- Temperature control keeps coffee hot
- Must change the filter every month
- On the expensive side
- Lots of steam comes out at the top
- Brewing is slower than other coffee makers
The Cuisinart DCC-3200P1 Perfectemp Coffee Maker not only makes a reliably good cup of coffee, but has all of the programmable functions that take the hassle out of your daily coffee routine. This is why it is my pick for best overall coffee maker for its price.
One function that makes this coffee maker sing is the bold/regular brew strength option, which is great if you like to switch up the strength based on the beans you are using. The a 24-hour programmable function is also a must, letting you wake up to a freshly-brewed pot of coffee each morning. If you like to enjoy multiple cups or are a slow drinker, the adjustable warming plate will keep the coffee warm throughout the day.
The 1-4 cup setting comes in handy if you need a single pick-me-up cup in the afternoon, and the Brew Pause™ feature allows you to get coffee even if the brewing is still in progress. If you need to unplug the machine or the power goes out, it has a 60-Second Reset function that lets you recall the last setting and the brewing process of the previous operation. This is not necessarily a do-or-die setting, but if you are like me always plugging and unplugging appliances, it is a very useful feature. And as an added bonus, it’s both easy to set up and clean, with a programmable self clean feature.
True, these features really sell this coffee maker on convenience and ease-of-use, but they would mean nothing if this coffee maker did not produce a great cup of coffee. Luckily, it does just that.
- Fastest 10-Cup Home Coffeemaker brews a full pot of coffee in about 3 minutes
- An always hot internal hot water is ready to brew hot coffee on deman. Item dimensions is 14.8 high x 7.1 wide x 13.8 deep inch. Note-replace sprayhead and brew funnel. Pour additional carafes of fresh, cold water into the brewer as needed until water has no vinegar smell or tasted
- Brews a full pot of coffee in about 3 minutes
- Stainless steel water tank that is always hot for quick brews
- Achieves and maintains brewing temperature — 200 degrees
- Requires regular cleaning
- Fairly expensive
- Some claim an overflowing problem with the flow restrictor
This BUNN GRB Velocity Brewer is known for making one quick cup of coffee. In only three minutes, it can produce a whole pot (10 cups) of piping hot coffee. If you are a busy person who loves a great cup of coffee, this machine may be the one for you.
Because of it’s fast brewing system, the good people at BUNN have made sure to include a multi-stream spray head that sprays hot water evenly over the coffee grounds and a large flat bottom filter that allows for better extraction of your coffee grounds. Overall, a great choice for someone who needs their coffee, and needs it now!
- On/off indicator light lets you know when your coffee maker is on or off
- Grab a cup auto pause stops cycle if you need a cup before brewing is finished
- Lift and Clean Filter basket is great for easy cleaning and filling
- Lowest price point for a decent coffee maker
- Pause brewing if you need a cup before brewing is finished
- Not programmable for brewing in the future
- No alerts to remind you when to clean the machine
- Not able to wash in the dishwasher
If you are looking for consistent and straightforward brewing process, the Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker a great option.
For all those who need caffeine as fast as possible when they wake up, the ‘Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause’ function allows you to interrupt the brewing process and grab a single cup. It has dual water window that helps you check the water level for refill and prevent overflows.
Cleaning and filling is very simple, with the only downside being that you have to remember to do it. Overall, this machine is easy to use, inexpensive and makes a great cup of coffee for its price point.
- Classic or Rich, each brew is flavorful and never bitter with custom brew strengths
- Hotter brewing technology: Advanced boiler for a perfectly hot cup of coffee
- Customizable brew strengths
- Prepare brew in advance with 24-hour programmable delay brew
- Adjustable warming plate keeps coffee warm for up to 4 hours
- Produces a lot of steam when brewing
- Pots break fairly easily
- Problems with mid-pour function
For those who’s pet peeve is a tepid pot of coffee, the Ninja CE251 Programmable Brewer, with ‘hotter brewing technology’ is a good choice for a flavorful cup of hot coffee.
Like many good coffee makers, the Ninja allows you to program your brew in advance and customize your brew strength. If you are someone who likes to drink multiple cups throughout the morning, it has a warming plate that can keep your coffee hot for up to 4 hours. Like most Ninja coffee makers, it has a 60-ounce removable water reservoir that is easy to remove and fill.
- The perfect cup of coffee: Braun’s pure flavor technology ensures your coffee is made at the right temperature and brewing time to extract the best coffee flavor and aroma. Expect excellent results, whether you brew a full pot or choose the 1–4 cup setting
- Wake up to a fresh pot: A programmable 24-hour timer means your coffee will be ready when you are. The auto shutoff feature will turn it off automatically. And the easy-to-read clock is visible from anywhere in your kitchen
- Programmable 24-hour timer and auto shutoff feature
- Built in filter allows essential oils to pass through, enhancing flavor
- Charcoal filter purifies brewing water
- Cannot adjust the strength of coffee and brewing temperature
- Hard to clean
- Poorly-designed carafe
There are so many factors that affect the flavor of your coffee, and the Braun KF6050WH BrewSense Drip Coffee Maker ensures that each pot of coffee is made at the right temperature and the right brewing time.
It’s designed for elegance and easy storage. The accessible control panel is very helpful to set all your preferences and time timer. It has a visible clock where you can see the time anywhere in your kitchen. Like others on this list, this machine allows you to program your brew in advance and choose a single-serve brew or full 12-cup pot using its carafe.
The built-in gold-tone filter allows essential oils from the coffee bean pass through into your cup, an important element that paper filters usually block. In addition, the charcoal filter purifies the water for your coffee. If your priority is a flavorful cup of coffee made with extra purified water, this machine is the way to go.
- Dispenses one cup at a time with an easy-to-use actuator.
- Dispenser light comes on when you press the lever to fill your cup
- Easy to steal a cup of coffee while brewing
- Operates quietly and beeps inaudibly too
- 24-hour programmability and adjustable auto shutoff
- Somewhat difficult to clean and maintain, especially the reservoir
- Small coffee filter
- Problems with the coffee gauge leaking/breaking
A hybrid between a single-serve and full pot coffee maker, the Cuisinart DCC-3000 Coffeemaker will provide you with a great cup of coffee that lasts throughout the morning.
Rather than making one cup at a time, this machine makes a whole pot (12 5oz cups) and stores it in its internal carafe until you are ready to dispense it cup by cup. Because the coffee is kept internal, you’ll find the coffee remains fresh for quite some time.
It has convenient 24-hour programmability, and for those energy conscious people, it has an adjustable auto-off function so you don’t have to worry about plugging and unplugging the machine. If you are a slow imbiber, this coffee maker will be a great fit.
- SPECIALTY COFFEE AT HOME: Bonavita's stylish and modern coffee maker with tempered glass pot brews an 8-cup carafe in about 6 minutes. This artisan cafe-style brewer is perfect for every at home coffee lover with a sleek and minimal design that adds a trendy, fashionable touch to your kitchen or office
- AWARD WINNING RESULTS: Golden-Cup Standard Coffee Maker; Curated features mimic the artisan pour-over brewing method; Hanging Flat-Bottomed filter basket for less mess & Larger Showerhead creates perfect flavor; Enjoy automatic pourover style cafe quality coffee in the comfort of your home
- Grounds are pre-soaked before brewing for better tasting coffee
- Brewing temperature reaches up to 205 degrees F
- Heating pad turns off after 40 minutes (doesn’t burn the coffee)
- Does not keep coffee hot for very long
- Carafe doesn’t have a spout, needs a lid for pouring
- Carafe’s are expensive to replace if broken
If you are not ready to make the investment in an artisan coffee maker but still want quality coffee at home, I recommend the Bonavita BV1900TS 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker.
An optional pre-infusion mode saturates your coffee grounds before brewing for optimal extraction, and the special shower head is specifically designed to evenly distribute hot water over the grounds. Not only will the Bonavita give you 8-cups of artisan-quality coffee in a stainless steel carafe, but it can do so in about 6 minutes.
At around $85, this coffee maker is a great deal for its price.
- 3-WAYS TO BREW: Brew up to 12 cups with ground coffee on the carafe side or use dual purpose single serving to brew a pod or ground coffee on the other. The included pod holder and single-serve grounds basket easily handle both options
- SINGLE-CUP COFFEE MAKER: Brew a cup with a K-Cup, pod, another pod brand, or ground coffee. The included pod holder and single-serve grounds basket easily handle both options and the cup rest removes so you can brew into a tall travel mug
- Customized brew strength
- Three ways to brew coffee and k-cup compatible
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Difficult to refill water when placed under kitchen cabinet, need to be pulled out
- Coffee strength is inconsistent
- Single-serve side coffee is great but takes a while to fill a cup
The Hamilton Beach (49976) FlexBrew Coffee Maker really allows for diversity in your coffee making routine, without sacrificing on quality.
It allows you to brew a cup with a K-Cup pod, another pod brand, or ground coffee as usual. Both the single and full 12oz pot have their own water reservoirs, and each is easy to fill from the top of the machine.
You have the option to either have a bold or regular coffee strength, and you can set the time for the next brewing cycle. If you wanted a cup before brewing has completed, it has the ‘Auto Pause and Serve’ function that lets you grab a quick cup before it is done.
- Classic brushed metal design with a 12-Cup carafe with ergonomic handle for comfortable, dripless pouring. BPA free
- Brew pause feature lets you enjoy a cup of coffee before brewing has finished. Adjustable heater plate (low, medium, high) ensures that your coffee stays at the temperature you like best
- Has a different temperature setting for brewing your coffee
- When it works fine, it really makes good coffee — regular or bold
- Has cleaning alerts and efficient self-cleaning functionality
- Charcoal water filter and permanent gold tone filter that ensures only the freshest coffee flavor flows through
- Brews very slowly
- Water volume indicator is not visible, need to look closer
- Doesn’t keep the coffee hot; hot plate turns off after brewing
This Cuisinart has all the essential functions you would want in a good coffee maker. Skip your coffee preparations with the help of Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central Coffeemaker. It’s fully programmable that lets you set it to wake up each morning and brew a cup of coffee for you.
It comes with a 12-cup carafe with dripless spout allowing you to care-less with the mess and enjoy your coffee. It has an adjustable heater plate (low, medium, high) perfect if you want your coffee to be served hot or just warm.
You can select 1-4 setting if you brew less than 5 cups of coffee. A very useful brew pause feature helps you quickly grab a cup even if the process is still going on. Lastly, it has a charcoal water filter and permanent gold tone filter to ensure you get the natural and bold coffee flavor.
- 2 WAYS TO BREW: SINGLE CUP OR FULL POT. Brew a single-serve cup or a full pot of coffee with your favorite ground coffee. Whichever way you brew, the Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker makes it easy to do both. Not compatible with K-Cup pods
- SIMPLE SINGLE-CUP BREWING — DOESN'T USE K-CUP PODS. Brew a cup for one using loose ground coffee (not compatible with K-Cup pods). With the included mesh scoop, adding your favorite ground coffee couldn’t be easier: just scoop, place and brew
- Brew either single cup or full pot of coffee
- Regular or bold brew strength selector and hot warming plate
- Programmable to either a certain time or 24 hours from the time you set it
- Single-serve only works for loose coffee grounds and disk-shaped soft pods
- Challenging to clean
- Single-serve coffee is not strong
For coffee aficionados who need the option of a full pot versus a single cup of coffee, the Hamilton Beach 49980A Coffee Maker Single Serve is a wise choice. It’s affordable, low maintenance, and gives you premium quality brewed coffee in a small or large amount.
The single-serve side has a standard water reservoir for one-time filling and multilevel cup rests to accommodate different cup sizes. Simply add grinds into the mesh filter or insert a soft pod and choose between regular or bold coffee strength.
The carafe side has a large water tank and a warming plate that keeps your coffee hot for up to two hours. Like any good coffee maker, it has LCD display and buttons that let you program your coffee up to 24 hrs in advance.
From recipes using locally sourced ingredients and terroir-centric cooking, craft cocktails, to the latest in tech and home DIY projects, Michael yearns to share his learned and found knowledge of the world.
Last update on 2021-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API