Table of Contents
Moroccan Chicken Tagine
This classic chicken tagine dish utilizes fresh herbs and spices for a savory, aromatic meal.
Servings: 4 people
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Smoked sweet paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon Grind several cinnamon sticks for fresh cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Coriander Grind 3 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 1/3 Tablespoons Turmeric Grate fresh turmeric root
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Grate fresh ginger root
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cardamom Grate 1/2 tablespoon of whole cardamom seeds, removed from pods
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Allspice Grind 2 1/2 allspice berries
- Unused chicken parts Back, neck, gizzards, etc
- 5 Cups Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Pinch Pepper
- 1/2 Carrot Chopped
- 1/2 Celery Chopped
- 1/3 Yellow onion Diced
- 1 Whole chicken Extra parts removed for stock
- 4 Tablespoons Spice Mix
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 Cauliflower Cut into bite-size florets
- 1 White Onion Diced
- 3 Cloves garlic Finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Freshly grated
- 4 Saffron Select large threads
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Preserved lemons Roughly chopped and seeds removed
- 1 Cup Green Olives Castelvetranos are preferred
- 1/2 Bunch Cilantro Pick leaves and discard stems
- 2 Tablespoons Pomegranate Seeds
- Use a mortar and pestle to finely grind all whole spices.
- Combine the spices in a dry saute pan over low heat. Toast gently, stirring with a wood spoon until the spices release their fragrances.
- Transfer spice mix to a bowl to cool. You will have made more than you need for the Chicken Tagine.
- Place unused chicken parts into a medium sized pot.
- Cover with water and add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain broth into large measuring cup or fat separator and let cool.
- Skim fat from top of broth.
- Broth can be used immediately or frozen for future use.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Separate chicken thighs, legs, breast and place into large pot with 2 tablespoons olive oil. With heat on medium, brown chicken, starting with skin-side down. After chicken is browned on both sides, place browned chicken in in the bottom of your tagine.
- Bring large pot of salted water over high heat. Place pot of ice water to the side. Boil cauliflower florets for 1 minute then submerge in ice water. Remove after 1 minute then pat dry.
- Core tomatoes. Place your tomato on a cutting board, stem side facing up. Roll the tomato sideways so the stem faces to the right, and cut the tomato down the center "equator" line into two halves. Use a small spoon to scoop the tomato seeds and any tough white core out of the four seed cavities. Boil tomatoes for 20 seconds then submerge in ice water for 20 seconds. Peel skin.
- Remove all but two tablespoons of olive oil and fat from the pot you used for the chicken and return to heat. Put cauliflower into pot brown the cauliflower as well. Add cauliflower to tagine.
- Coat chicken and cauliflower with 4 tablespoons of spice mix.
- Reduce heat in pan and add onion, garlic, ginger, and saffron. Stir about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and chicken stock. Simmer until reduced by 1/3.
- Pour sauce over chicken and cauliflower. Cover tagine and transfer to oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove tagine to stir in tomatoes, preserved lemon, and olives. Cook for additional 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve alongside your favorite type of rice or couscous.