These Moroccan Roasted Carrots are both intensely flavorful and vibrant. Using common Moroccan spices, including cinnamon, cumin, ginger, and coriander, this traditional side dish is good enough to constitute a main meal. That said, it will pair nicely with your main entrée in typical Mediterranean fashion.
Eager to try your hand at another iconic Moroccan recipe? This Moroccan Chicken Tagine Recipe is a great place to start!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- Quick + Easy. With just a 30 min bake time, these carrots are an easy side dish to prepare alongside your main meal.
- Fresh Moroccan Spice. There is no shortage of fragrant spices in this recipe to liven up your veggies!
- Healthy. Carrots are loaded with fiber, vitamin A, and beta-carotene. With the additional benefits of the spices, this is an essentially guilt-free meal.
Moroccan Roasted Carrots Ingredients
- Whole Rainbow Carrots – If you are able to purchase carrots with their tops intact, wash and save them to create a bed of greens under the carrots when serving. Lightly sauté, and enjoy them along with your carrots.
- Olive Oil – Traditional Moroccan style olive oil is usually cold-pressed and unrefined. There are many benefits to this type of olive oil. The manufacturing process is more environmentally friendly, it has high amounts of healthy fatty acids called oleic acid, and it keeps for longer.
- Honey – It’s always better to spend the extra cash on local, pure, raw honey without any additives.
- Moroccan Spices – You will be using ground cumin, ginger, coriander, and cinnamon in this recipe. If possible, I encourage you to use fresh whole spices. Lightly roast and grind them before using.
- Feta Cheese – To make this recipe vegan, simply omit the feta cheese. (It’s your call on the honey)
- Fresh Mint – Mint is somewhat of a staple herb in Morocco. Many people drink it daily as tea and alongside a variety of traditional meals.
How to Make Moroccan Roasted Carrots
STEP 1: Prep the carrots.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Peel the carrots and trim off the green tops.
STEP 2: Mix the spices together.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, honey, ground cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander, and ground cinnamon.
STEP 3: Coat the carrots.
Add the carrots to the spice mixture and toss to coat.
STEP 4: Bake in the oven.
Place the carrots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and a light golden brown.
STEP 5: Garnish with cheese.
Serve the warm carrots on a platter and top with the crumbled feta cheese and chopped fresh mint. Enjoy!
Moroccan Roasted Carrots
- Mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- Chef's knife
- 1 lb whole carrots Rainbow carrots recommended
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon Or more, up to 1/2 teaspoon, if you like the spice
- Salt and black pepper To taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint Roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Peel the carrots and trim off the green tops.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, honey, ground cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander and ground cinnamon. Add the carrots and toss to coat.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and a light golden brown.
- Serve the warm carrots on a platter and top with the crumbled feta cheese and chopped fresh mint.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you peel a carrot?
With a peeler, of course! Start at the part of the carrot closest to the green part and quickly run the peeler’s edge along the carrot, away from your body and fingers.
I strive to paint vivid landscapes with my words, bringing the magic of far-off lands and enchanting aromas to life for my readers. Combine passion for exploration and the art of gastronomy in an unending ode to the senses. When I’m not traversing the globe, I find solace in the earth beneath my fingertips, tending to my garden and working on projects around my verdant oasis. MK Library serves as a beacon, guiding fellow travelers and homebodies alike to embrace sustainability, nurturing both our planet and our souls with purpose. Full Bio.